The RLSS UK are piloting a new SH2OUT Approved Programme called “Pool to Pond”.
Pool to Pond has been developed to support a swimmer making the transition from pool swimmer to open water swimmer. The programme will offer flexible opportunities for participants to swim in open water.
There will be three key components:
- Dry side education with networking and confidence building
- Pool-based introduction to open water skills
- Open water introduction to the lake
The swimmer will learn and discuss:
- Where are you going to swim?
- When are you going to swim?
- Who are you going to swim with?
- What do you need to be aware of and what do you need to plan for?
- What clothing and equipment do you need – in and out of the water?
- What basic skills do you need to get the most from your swim?
The benefits to the swimmer?
- Benefit of engagement for a leisure operator or open water venue
- Contribution towards drowning prevention
- Guidance for the instructor and upskilling of existing staff
- Positive engagement with existing swimmers, perceived added value to membership
- A new programme that can raise extra income
- Attracts new swimmers motivated to train for open water
- Motivates swimmers to make more pool visits to train for open water > open water swimmers need swimming pools
- Develops links with local open water sessions
RLSS UK are now looking for facilities to deliver Pool to Pond trials, starting with the dry-side and pool programmes and leading into the open water introduction. If you are interested please contact email@example.com
If you are a swimmer interest in attending a Pool to Pond session, please email firstname.lastname@example.org